Table of Contents
What is the coast region known for?
The California South Coast region extends from Ventura County to the Mexican Border and includes the counties of Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego. It is known for its sandy beaches, surf-able waves, moderate climate, and large and diverse population.
What are the 10 features found along the coast?
- Tides. Sea levels rise and fall twice (two times) a day along most coastlines.
- Wave power. Powerful waves hit against rocky coasts, wearing away and breaking off the rocks.
- Cliffs, caves, arches, and stacks.
- Tide pools.
- Beaches and dunes.
- Bars, lagoons, and spits.
What is associated with the ocean?
Plants Associated With the Ocean These microscopic wonders set up the base for the marine ecosystem. algae – aquatic plants including seaweed. bacteria – single-celled organisms. gulfweed – brown seaweed also known as sargassum. kelp – large type of brown seaweed with long strips.
What are the main features of a coast?
Coasts have many different features, such as caves and cliffs, beaches and mudflats. Tides, waves, and water currents (flow) shape the land to form these coastal features. Some coasts are also changed by the flow of glaciers, which are huge rivers of ice, and lava from volcanoes.
What are coastal landforms?
Coastal landforms are the landforms along the coastline that are mostly formed by erosion and sediments from waves, longshore currents, rip currents, tides, and climatic factors like wind and rainfall, and temperature include headlands, cliffs, bays, spits, salt marshes, and beaches.
What is a coast answer?
The coast, also known as the coastline or seashore, is defined as the area where land meets the ocean, or as a line that forms the boundary between the land and the ocean or a lake.
What landforms are in a beach?
Coastal Erosion and Deposition
- Beach Ridges. Beach ridges are wave deposited sand ridges running parallel to shoreline.
- Wave-Cut Scarps. A wave-cut scarp is a steep bank created by wave erosion.
- Marine Terraces.
What words are associated with the open sea zone?
WORDS RELATED TO OPEN SEA
- high seas.
- open sea.
- the brine.
- the briny deep.
- the deep.
- the deep sea.
What word goes with sea?
8-letter words that start with sea
What factors influence the shape of a coast?
The key factors which affect coastlines are:
- The rock type/geology (see map below).
- The fetch of the wave and the strength of the wind.
- The angle of the slope – steep slopes erode more violently and frequently.
- Weather conditions – freezing temperatures and heavy rain increase weathering and the rate of erosion.
What are some examples of coastal places?
The Top 10 British Seaside Towns
- Hastings, East Sussex.
- Deal, Kent.
- Shanklin, Isle of Wight.
- Cromer, Norfolk.
- Worthing, West Sussex.
- Bamburgh, Northumberland.
- St Ives, Cornwall.
- Whitby, North Yorkshire.
What are coastal landforms examples?