Table of Contents
- 1 Should you go to the doctor for a broken tailbone?
- 2 What is the best treatment for tailbone injury?
- 3 Is walking good for tailbone pain?
- 4 What happens if a broken tailbone goes untreated?
- 5 How do you know if I broken my tailbone?
- 6 How long can a broken tailbone last?
- 7 What can you do with a broken tail bone?
- 8 How long does a broken tailbone heal?
- 9 How to care for a fractured tailbone?
Should you go to the doctor for a broken tailbone?
If you have the signs and symptoms of a coccyx injury or unexplained discomfort in the tailbone area, contact your doctor. It may be necessary for the doctor to decide if the injury is traumatic or if the pain is caused by other, more serious, problems.
What is the best treatment for tailbone injury?
Lean forward while sitting down. Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion. Apply heat or ice to the affected area. Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or aspirin.
What can you do if you crack your tailbone?
Simple solutions such as a warm bath or heating pad may help to relieve pain and inflammation from a coccyx fracture….Your doctor may recommend several ways to alleviate inflammation and pain, including:
- Physical and occupational therapy.
Is walking good for tailbone pain?
Sometimes, the pain can shoot all the way down your legs. Standing or walking should relieve the pressure on your tailbone and ease discomfort.
What happens if a broken tailbone goes untreated?
When a bone fracture is untreated, it can result in either a nonunion or a delayed union. In the former case, the bone doesn’t heal at all, which means that it will remain broken. As a result, swelling, tenderness, and pain will continue to worsen over time.
Can a broken tailbone heal itself?
A broken or bruised coccyx will usually heal on its own. Physical therapy, exercises, and a special cushion can all help ease the pain and speed recovery. See your doctor if pain is severe, or if you have trouble with bowel movements or urination. Surgery is needed in fewer than 10 percent of cases.
How do you know if I broken my tailbone?
The symptoms of a broken tailbone include:
- an almost constant dull pain in the very low back, just above the buttocks.
- pain that worsens when sitting and when standing up from a sitting position.
- swelling around the tailbone.
- pain that intensifies during a bowel movement.
- pain that intensifies during sexual intercourse.
How long can a broken tailbone last?
If you have a fracture, healing can take between 8 to 12 weeks. If your tailbone injury is a bruise, healing takes about 4 weeks.
How do I know if my tailbone pain is serious?
What are the symptoms of tailbone pain (coccydynia)?
- The symptoms of coccydynia include:
- Achy or piercing pain in the tailbone.
- More severe pain when changing from sitting to standing up.
- More severe pain when sitting for long periods of time.
- Pain during bowel movements.
- Pain during sex.
What can you do with a broken tail bone?
For traumatic injuries, apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for the first few days after the injury. Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as aspirin or ibuprofen to reduce pain and improve your ability to move around.
How long does a broken tailbone heal?
Children recover faster than adults, and young adults recover faster than older ones. Average recovery time for a bruised tailbone is up to four weeks. A broken or fractured tailbone can take up to 12 weeks to heal. Rehabilitation will include physical therapy, home exercises, and possibly a special cushion for sitting.
How to check for a broken tail bone?
If your tailbone pain doesn’t improve (chronic coccydynia), consult your doctor. He or she might do a rectal exam to rule out any other conditions. Your doctor might recommend using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to find out if you have a fracture, degenerative changes or, in rare cases, a tumor.
How to care for a fractured tailbone?
Rest and stop any physical activity that causes pain. The more you rest,the quicker the injury can heal.