Table of Contents
- 1 What is the stifle meaning?
- 2 What does stifle mean in the Tell Tale Heart?
- 3 How do you use the word stifle?
- 4 What does the word chamber mean in this story Tell-Tale Heart?
- 5 What does sufficient mean in the Tell-Tale Heart?
- 6 What does manually stifled mean?
- 7 What does enveloped the victim mean?
- 8 What does gaily mean in The Tell-Tale Heart?
- 9 What is the meaning of stifle in English?
- 10 What is the difference between stifle and suffocate?
What is the stifle meaning?
1a : to withhold from circulation or expression stifled our anger. b : to cut off (the voice, the breath, etc.) c : deter, discourage. 2a(1) : muffle. (2) : smother.
What does stifle mean in the Tell Tale Heart?
stifled. held in check with difficulty. It was not a groan of pain or of grief –oh, no! –it was the low stifled sound that arises from the bottom of the soul when overcharged with awe. distracted.
How do you use the word stifle?
Stifle sentence example
- Brady’s comment made her stifle a laugh.
- In spite of the seriousness of the situation, Dean was forced to stifle a chuckle.
- She pretended to stifle a yawn.
- In the crowd people began talking loudly, to stifle their feelings of pity as it seemed to Pierre.
How do you use stifled in a sentence?
Stifled sentence example
- She stifled a laugh, and he gave her a sidelong glance.
- He bit, and she stifled a cry.
- The fire was then kindled, and his voice as it audibly prayed in the words of the “Kyrie Eleison” was soon stifled in the smoke.
- Jessi stifled a laugh.
What is the synonym of stifling?
In this page you can discover 45 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for stifling, like: suppressing, quelling, strangling, stuffy, crushing, smothering, suffocating, airless, close, sultry and sulfurous.
What does the word chamber mean in this story Tell-Tale Heart?
chamber. a natural or artificial enclosed space. And this I did for seven long nights, every night just at midnight, but I found the eye always closed, and so it was impossible to do the work, for it was not the old man who vexed me but his Evil Eye.
What does sufficient mean in the Tell-Tale Heart?
used in The Tell-Tale Heart. only 1 use. adequate (enough — often without being more than is needed) And then, when I had made an opening sufficient for my head, I put in a dark lantern, all closed, closed, that no light shone out, and then I thrust in my head.
What does manually stifled mean?
To interrupt or cut off (the voice, for example). 2. To keep in or hold back; repress: stifled my indignation. 3. To kill by preventing respiration; smother or suffocate.
What type of word is stifled?
Stifled is an adjective for anything that’s been squashed or smothered. You might have a stifled ambition to be an astronaut that you never admitted to others. Something stifled is stunted, or prevented from growing.
What part of speech is stifle?
|part of speech:||transitive verb|
|part of speech:||intransitive verb|
|definition 1:||to die from lack of air. Many earthquake victims stifled amid fallen debris. synonyms: smother, suffocate similar words: asphyxiate, choke, gag|
What does enveloped the victim mean?
enclose or enfold completely with or as if with a covering. All in vain; because Death, in approaching him. had stalked with his black shadow before him, and enveloped the victim. victim. an unfortunate person who suffers from adverse circumstances.
What does gaily mean in The Tell-Tale Heart?
merry, joyful, or cheerful
Gaily – meaning merry, joyful, or cheerful.
What is the meaning of stifle in English?
stifle. noun. Definition of stifle (Entry 2 of 2) : the joint next above the hock in the hind leg of a quadruped (such as a horse or dog) corresponding to the human knee — see horse illustration. Other Words from stifle Synonyms More Example Sentences Learn More about stifle. Keep scrolling for more.
What does it mean to stifle a cough?
1. ( tr) to smother or suppress: stifle a cough. 1. to quell, crush, or end by force. 2. to suppress, curb, or withhold: to stifle a yawn. 3. to kill by impeding respiration; smother. 4. to suffer from difficulty in breathing, as in a close atmosphere.
What does it mean to stifle a laugh?
Kids Definition of stifle. 1 : to cause or have difficulty in breathing The room was hot and stifling. 2 : to keep in check by effort I had to stifle a laugh.
What is the difference between stifle and suffocate?
stifle – impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of; “The foul air was slowly suffocating the children”. asphyxiate, suffocate, choke. obturate, occlude, close up, impede, obstruct, jam, block – block passage through; “obstruct the path”.