Table of Contents
How do you find the value of y with a given slope?
Finding the y value is easy if you know the slope of the line and the x coordinate. Review the equation for the slope of a line. The equation for finding the slope is: m = [y1 – y2] / [x1 – x2]. If you know x, you can solve for y to find the y value for the slope of the line.
How do you find the y value of two points?
Steps to find the equation of a line from two points:
- Find the slope using the slope formula.
- Use the slope and one of the points to solve for the y-intercept (b).
- Once you know the value for m and the value for b, you can plug these into the slope-intercept form of a line (y = mx + b) to get the equation for the line.
What is the y-intercept of (- 3 7?
Hence, y -intercept is −23 .
What is the y-intercept of (- 6?
Using the slope-intercept form, the y-intercept is 6 .
What is a value of y?
How do you find y in a equation?
To find the x-intercept of a given linear equation, plug in 0 for ‘y’ and solve for ‘x’. To find the y-intercept, plug 0 in for ‘x’ and solve for ‘y’. In this tutorial, you’ll see how to find the x-intercept and the y-intercept for a given linear equation. Check it out!
How do you find y-intercept given two points?
- Calculate the slope from 2 points. For Example, Two points are (3, 5) and (6, 11)
- Substitute the slope(m) in the slope-intercept form of the equation.
- Substitute either point into the equation. You can use either (3,5) or(6,11).
- Solve for b, which is the y-intercept of the line.
- Substitute b, into the equation.
Which equation represents the line that passes through (- 6 7 and (- 3 6 )?
The slope of a line joining the two points is y2-y1 / x2-x1 which in this case is 6-7 / -3 – -6) = – 1/3. The slope-intercept form of a line is y =mx +b where m is the slope and b in the y intercept.
What is the slope of Y − 6?
The line crosses the y-axis at 6 , as the line is always at that value. As it is a horizontal line, the slope is zero.
How do you find slope when given an equation?
Use the point-slope formula to find the equation. No matter how you got here, you should have 1 point on the line and the slope of the line. The formula to use is y – y1 = m(x – x1). Using the slope m you just calculated and one of the given coordinates on the line, plug the numbers into the equation.
How to find slope and y intercept?
Write down the slope and point. The slope or “rise over run” is a single number that tells you how steep the line is.
How do you find the slope and the y intercept?
In general, the slope intercept form assumes the formula: y = mx + b. m is the slope (lesson on slope ) mnemonic : ‘m’ means ‘move’ b is the y -intercept ( lesson on the y-intercept ) mnemonic : ‘b’ means where the line begins.
How do you calculate slope?
Find two points on the line.