Table of Contents
How do I identify an old cast-iron bell?
- The edges of the bell will have become soft and irregular over time.
- The edges will show heavy wear and the rest of the bell will also look worn and seasoned.
- Antique bells will not have a casting or parting line. The new bells are typically cast in two pieces whereas antique farm bells were cast as one piece.
What is an old school bell worth?
Asking prices range from about $1,800 to $3,000, depending on the bells selected. They also stock bell parts for repairs and restoration. The American Bell Association has a forum for collectors of bells, including school house bells.
How do you clean a rusty bell?
- Brush your cast-iron bell using a wire brush to remove loose rust.
- Submerge the bell in diluted phosphoric acid to loosen rust, and lightly etch to expose a clean, fresh surface.
- Remove the bell from the phosphoric acid solution, and brush with a stiff bristle brush or a wad of aluminum foil.
Should you paint an antique farm bell?
New bells are painted in the traditional color, black; but you can choose any paint color. Another method would be to protect the clean metal surface with a coat of WD-40. This would maintain the appearance of the metal and still protect it; however, a coat of WD-40 would need to be reapplied every year.
What kind of antiques sell best?
23 Types of Valuable Antiques to Look For
- Rare Coins.
- China Sets.
- Vintage Typewriters.
- Musical Instruments.
- Perfume Bottles.
- Fountain Pens.
- Antique Furniture. Antique furniture is another high-value item with many pieces ranging from $200 to $2000.
- Jewelry. Don’t forget to sort through old jewelry.
How much does a cast iron bell cost?
In Stock. $89.95 & FREE Shipping….Product information.
|Product Dimensions||17.99 x 17.01 x 9.02 inches|
|Item model number||90000-xp|
|Customer Reviews||4.5 out of 5 stars 523 ratings 4.5 out of 5 stars|
How is cast iron bell measured?
Use the straight edge across the lip of the bell and measure from the bottom of the beam to the straight edge for the overall height of the bell, then subtract the inside height C. Dimension F is the mounting bolt diameter.
How do you balance a farm bell?
To balance the bell, insert some yielding substance like soft wood or old leather between the bell and the yoke on the heavy side; then tighten up and try again until the clapper and springs operate together and the bell is in balance.
How do you preserve a cast iron bell?
Submerge the bell in cola, and leave it only until rust has softened. If you prefer not to paint your farm bell, spray the bell with a coat of WD-40. Recoat annually to protect the bell from corrosion. Cast-iron farm bells corrode over time when left in unprotected areas.
Can you sandblast a cast iron bell?
Cast Iron Bell Restoration You could sandblast the bell if it is needed. After this cleaning, spray paint the bell with a thin coat of Rustoleum primer to seal the surface.